There is a popular nationwide ad campaign that attempts to educate viewers on a variety of topics such as education, diversity, and the environment. The premise behind the campaign is that the more viewers know, the better they can make more informed decisions.
The same holds true for your dental health. It can be difficult to ask questions while you are sitting in the dentist chair, so your 45241 dentist, Joel R. Koch, DDS, has put together a list of some of the dental terms you should know. Although the list is not complete, it does record some of the terms many patients are unfamiliar with or have a misunderstanding about.
If you are wondering about a term not on this list, please feel free to give our office a call!
Common Dental Terms You Should Know
- Amalgam filling. Not often used today, amalgam referred to a mixture of silver metal, and mercury used to fill cavities. Fillings today are primarily filled with a tooth-colored composite material.
- Bleaching. This refers to the teeth whitening process, although bleach is not actually used. Dentists use a peroxide gel to whiten teeth.
- Caries. This is another term for “cavities” or “tooth decay.”
- Endodontist. An endodontist is a specialist who treats an infected or damaged tooth by performing a root canal.
- General dentist. A doctor who specializes in diagnosing, managing, and treating the dental concerns of all age groups is referred to as a general dentist.
- Gingivitis. When gum disease is in its early stages—and still reversible—it is called gingivitis.
- Malocclusion. This term refers to the misalignment of teeth, particularly when the bite is compromised.
- Plaque. The bacteria that builds up around the teeth and gums. When it hardens into calculus, it needs to be removed by a professional with special dental tools.
Schedule an Appointment at Joel R. Koch, DDS
Don’t worry about memorizing dental terminology when you can work with a dentist and team in the 45421 area who are eager to answer your questions—and take good care of your oral health. Call us today!